Monday, July 16, 2012

Pea and lettuce

This is a Jamie Oliver dish and it is surprisingly yummy. I say surprisingly because I was not sure how cooked lettuce would taste. Turns out, it tastes mighty fine. Jamie's recipe called for gem lettuce (which I think is baby cos lettuce) - but all I had was iceberg and it worked nicely. Jamie has other versions of this approach on his site - ie braised peas with spring onion. I'm also thinking that when summer comes along doing this with fresh peas, and adding in some fresh greens from the garden would also be pretty cool - there could be endless tweaks to the flavour. Imagine this with lemony sorrell and some fish... mmm yum - there will be experimentations I am sure!

Ingredients

a knob of butter
1 tbs flour
300ml chicken stock
400gm peas and 1 tbs mint leaves OR a 400g bag of mint peas
3 handfuls of finely sliced lettuce

Method

put the butter, flour and stock in a pan and stir until it makes a bubbling golden sauce. Add in the peas, mint, and lettuce, and cook until the veggies are tender. If you see your sauce drying up reduce your heat and add a splash more stock.

Easy peasy!! (yes, I went there!)



No comments:

Post a Comment