Friday, May 2, 2014

Crispy skin duck breast with honey & orange glazed carrots

This is a rich indulgent dish, perfect for a cool autumn evening. There is a reason why orange is often paired with duck - it provides a sweetness and fruitiness that pairs well with the strong flavour of the duck meat.

The secret to crispy skin is to render out all of that duck fat under the breast, and making sure you pour off the excess fat so that you do not end up with soggy or chewy skin.

The honey and orange glazed carrots are one of my dad's recipes, which I have loved since a child.

Ingredients


2 duck breasts

2 large carrots
1 tbs butter
2 tbs honey
1/4 cup of orange juice
zest from an orange
pinch of nutmeg

salt and pepper

Method - the duck breast

  1. Pat the skin of the duck breast and score the through the skin, This helps the fat to render and run out.
  2. Season with salt and ground pepper.
  3. Place skin side down in a cold non stick pan on a medium heat without oil for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Pour off the fat regularly and seal the other side for 30 seconds.
  4. Place the skin side up on a rack in a roasting tin in the middle of the oven. The following guidelines give you approximate times for roasting the breast, but as with all meats the size of the breasts will affect how long the cooking will need to be.
Rare - 10 minutes
Medium - 15 minutes
Well Done - 18 minutes
When the duck is cooked rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.

Method - the honey and orange glazed carrots


  1. Slice the carrots finely (peel if you prefer, I find I don't need to).
  2. Cook in boiling water until soft but not mushy.
  3. Drain the carrots in a colander.
  4. In the same pot melt the butter and honey, then add the orange juice, zest, and a pinch of nutmeg. Add the carrots and stir until the sauce has coated the carrots and is reduced to your liking. 
  5. Season to taste.

Serve with your duck breast, and any other accompaniments you may desire. As you can see I added some baby spinach and mashed potato to mine!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Maia, it looks beautiful! Thank you for the refresher. I put a duck in the freezer not long ago. It's been so many years I roasted one... In fact I couldn't make it for more than four decades. It's a long story, but finally I think I will be ready to duck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zsuzsa, it was pretty yummy if I do say so myself! We have a whole roast duck every Christmas, stuffed with apples - it's what my parents always loved and my mum used to make every year, and dad still insists on it every Christmas. Only now I get to make it!

    I don't usually buy duck as it is quite expensive - but this was on special, so I thought I would get some.

    ReplyDelete