Sunday, March 11, 2012

Saffron Milk Cup Mushrooms

I went mushrooming today in the Vulcan State Forest near Oberon, NSW. We came back with heaps of Saffron milk caps, which are pumpkin-orange and very pretty, and a few Slippery Jacks which have a sticky brown top and a spongy yellow underneath. I've never tasted Slippery Jacks, and was way too tired to actually try and cook them tonight - they are a little fiddly as you have to peel them and discard the stalks etc. So I cooked the saffron milk caps instead.

Fried Mushrooms

These were amazingly tasty! And such an autumnal colour!
I can see another foraging adventure in my future :)
3 onions
3 cloves garlic
1 nob butter melted in some olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
a whole heap of mushrooms

As you can tell this is a very imprecise recipe. Basically I heat up some olive oil, put some butter in that, then saute the onions and garlic until the onions are soft. Then I throw in chopped mushrooms and cook them until they are soft, seasoning near the end of cooking. Sometimes I may add  a little more butter depending on taste, sometimes not. It all just depends on the taste!


These mushies were just lovely. Lovely firm but yielding texture, with a lovely savouriness to them I find it hard to describe the varying tastes of mushrooms, but I have to say these really were delicious.

2 comments:

  1. The best mushroom stew I ever had was made by a friend who took us into the forest and picked a basket full of different mushrooms for dinner. I can imagine how delicious this dish must have been. I admire you Minxy for knowing what is safe to pick. BTW, what do I call you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My name is Marianne, but my family/friends call me Maia. My grandmother used to take us mushrooming when we were children, so I know what to look for and the common pitfalls! We are also fortunate in that the local tourist information centre has identification charts and helpful people if you are in doubt.

    With the milk caps, though, once you've seen them they are pretty hard not to recognise :)

    ReplyDelete