Thursday, February 28, 2013

Chestnut and sage soup

As we start heading towards Autumn I start dreaming of soup... and this one is truly luxurious. It has a wonderful texture, and a warming nutty and sweet-savoury taste. It takes a bit of time and effort to roast an peel the chestnuts, but other than that this soup is a breeze.

Serves 2 for main, 4 for entree....

Ingredients

1 tbs olive oil with a small knob of butter
1 onion finely chopped
6 chopped sage leaves
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 litre of stock - vegetable or chicken is best
500g roasted and peeled chestnuts.

optional: sour cream or creme fraiche to serve, plus a few extra sage leaves (if you take the time to fry them crispy, they make an awesome granish)

Method

Fry onions in the oil & butter until soft, sweet and translucent. Add in the garlic clove and stir for a minute.

Add in the sage leaves and chestnuts, and stock. Cook for 15 minutes or until the chestnuts are soft and mushy. season with salt and pepper to taste.

Puree the mixture until it is the consistency you desire.Serve with crusty bread, a dollop of sour cream, and enjoy.



2 comments:

  1. This must be wonderful! Maia, my sister in law in Budapest makes this soup for every Christmas Eve feast. I never made this before, because it is very difficult to get fresh chestnuts where I live. And nobody carries the canned version either. I often wished I could try it, but on the rare occasion I find chestnuts I have to make gesztenyepure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very lucky in that we get fresh chestnuts in autumn in the stores here - and there is one shop who stocks frozen roasted chestnuts. Not the cheapest, but lovely when you want something a little special.

    Gesztenyepure is delightfully wicked!! I can see why you'd choose that for your hard to come by chestnuts!

    ReplyDelete