Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bondon Cheese

Bondon cheese is a French cheese from the Normandy region. It can be made with either cow or goats milk. It is a mild cream cheese, with a greatly reduced fat content to normal cream cheese as it is made from milk rather than cream. Great with crackers, or mixed with herbs. Melts nicely into a white sauce as well ;)

Ingredients

  • 2 litres of full cream milk
  • 4 drops of calcium chloride diluted in 2 tbs of non chlorinated water (unless you are using milk straight from the cow/goat!)
  • one dose of MO 030 meophilic starter culture
  • 2 drops liquid rennet diluted in 2 tbs of non chlorinated water

Instructions

  • heat milk to 20o
  • remove from heat source, add the calcium chloride and stir well
  • add the starter culture and mix well
  • ass the rennet and mix well
  • cover and let stand for 24 hours in a warm place so that the milk mixture does not drop below 20o
  • line a colander with cheesecloth. ladle the curds into the cloth, and drain for 5 minutes. 
  • Tie the colth and hand to drain for 6-8 houirs.
  • Press the cheese for 5-6 hours either in a cheese mould or in between two cutting or cheese boards with a 5kg weight on top. 
  • remove it, place it in a bowl, and add salt to taste.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to try this Maia, but alas I have no access to full fat milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By full fat milk I mean regular store bought milk - not skim milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I found this post while googling Bondon cheese because I made it for the first time last week. Isn't it yummy! I'm making a fromage blanc today but can't wait till the cheese cloth is free so I can make my next batch of Bondon. It didn't last long! Perhaps I need to buy another cloth....

    ReplyDelete