Monday, September 24, 2012

Dad's Italian Biscuits

I am not sure where my dad got this recipe - though it must have been from an Italian friend or recipe book. They were my mothers favourites. Every now and then she would get a craving for them and she'd turn to dad and say "Johnny, make me some Italian biscuits", and he would. As a child I didn't really appreciate the subtle sweetness of these - I'd make sure I grabbed the one most liberally doused with icing sugar. These days, I love the subtle vanilla and lemon flavour of them. OK, to be honest, I still love the icing sugar - just a dusting though, not a snowfall! My dad has slowed down as he has gotten older, and he has problems with one of his hands, so he does not cook as often as he used to. Dad's precious recipe book has been bequeathed to me. I've had it now since last Christmas. So when dad asked me last week, "have you made the Italian biscuits yet?", I knew what he meant. He's coming over tomorrow for lunch - and I have a lovely tin filled with Italian biscuits ready and waiting for him.

Dad's Italian Biscuits

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups self raising flour
60g butter or marg
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 cup milk

icing sugar for dusting

Method

1. Sift flour, rub in the butter or margarine. Add sugar, mix well, Make a well in the centre and add the combined lemon rind, vanilla, egg, and milk. Mix with a wooden spoon until it is a soft, pliable dough.
2. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead gently until the dough is smooth.
3. Roll dough out gently until 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rounds. Place on a greased baking tray. Bake at 200 degrees C, for 15 minutes of until a light golden brown. Cool.
4. When cool dust with icing sugar and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. I want to make these Maia. I just have to get some self rising flour. I will let you know when I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please, I'd love to hear how they turn out for you - and whether you like them! :)

    ReplyDelete