Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Paprikás csirke (Paprika Chicken)

paprika chicken, served with kluski/gnocchi and snow peas.
Paprika chicken is one of those simply yet amazingly tasty dishes. It is heavy in sour cream, so it's really not an everyday food, but it is a fantastic dish for a birthday treat! Seeing as I just had one of those, I had to celebrate and spoil myself :)

Real Hungarian paprika - that is, paprika grown and produced in Hungary - gives the best, most intense flavour and colour. If you can't get that, Hungarian-style will do.

I like to serve it with a little bit of green crunchy veg for texture - and snowpeas are my absolute fav for that!. makes for a lovely vibrant dish as well.


Ingredients

1 chicken, jointed (ask your butcher or use the equivalent in size of wings and legs from the supermarket) - keep the meat on the bone, it improves the flavour.
2 onions finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons of sweet paprika
1 tub sour cream
salt to taste

noodles to serve

Method

  • Cook onions in a casserole dish in a little bit of olive oil until translucent.
  • Add in meat and brown skin.
  • Add in the paprika.
  • Cover the chicken with water so that it is *just* covered - the more liquid, the runnier the sauce will be.
  • Place in a oven at 180 degrees C and cook for 40mins-1hr until the meat is tender and falling off the bone.
  • take out of oven, and add in sour cream, a bit at at time, until you get the flavour balance you are looking for. Season to taste.

Serve over noodles.

3 comments:

  1. That's not authentic chicken paprika! But hey, I make it just like you, not in the pot, in the oven!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I learnt to make it in a pot, and I still make it that way whenever my dad visits as that is what he expects to see! Any other time I use the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I definitely go with the oven. Oven baking is especially handy with large amounts. Its a lot of trouble to get free range chicken for me and I found that the miserable supermarket chickens end up tasting better when the paprikas is made in the oven.

    ReplyDelete