Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Peach Jam

The last of the peaches in the box I bought at the local farmers markets were getting very ripe - time to make jam! Making jam from stonefruit like cherries, peaches, and apricots, is quite easy to do. I never use pectin or jamsetting agents and the resulting jam is usually quite luscious. It isn't as "jelly"-like as that found in supermarkets, but it is thick and spreadable and - well - jammy! I quite like that soft gummy lusciousness of home-made real jam. Real jam also has no preservatives, additives, or artificial colours. It always beggars my belief that most jams produced in Australia have preservatives in them. Home-made jam can last for ages. I've had it sitting there unopened for a year without any problems at all. I've also bought imported French jams that contain no preservatives... anyway, I shall just shake my head and end my ranting!

Walnut sourdough with home made peach jam!
Peach Jam
1 part sugar
2 parts peaches (or you can substitute other stone fruit, or a mix of stone fruit, if you wish)
1/2 lemon per kilo of peaches

I realise that what I have given you is a ratio, rather than a recipe! A lot of other recipes call for a 1:1 ratio of fruit to sugar, but I've always thought that leaves you with an overly sweet jam. As it is, I think the ratio with the overripe peaches is a tad too sweet - but that is just my taste!

Place sugar and sliced peaches into a pot. Heat slowly so the peaches release their juices and dissovle the sugar. Squeeze in the lemon. Heat on medium heat until gently bubbling. Cook for about 20 minutes and then start testing for the jell point (see below). Test every 5 minutes until jell point is reached. Then take off the heat. Pour into clean warm glass jars, top with lids, (you can also get plastic wrappers and elastic band jam sets in the supermarkets). I then wrap them with teatowels so they don't cool too rapidly & crack the glass. Once they are cool place them in fridge or cool dark pantry. Once opened, of course, refridgerate.

Jell point testing - put a dish in the freezer. To test for setting put a small dollop of the hot liquid on the plate. Leave in freezer for 40 seconds until it is cool and then push at it with your finger. If it leaves wrinkles on the surface of the jam, it is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment